For the month of September I want to reflect briefly on texts from God’s word about God’s word.
Today – 2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NIV)
“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
A few observations….
1) ALL Scripture – not some, not just my favourite texts or chapters or books, yes even the genealogies are God-breathed.
2) All SCRIPTURE – God’s word is “holy writing.” Of all the books we may possess, this one is unique.
3) All Scripture is GOD-BREATHED – The Spirit of God over-shadowed the writers of the original manuscripts as they were penned. These are “God’s words” to us though penned by over 40 authors in both Testaments.
4) …..is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness…. We must learn to use properly this God-breathed text. It is our main textbook for our doctrine and our practice.
5) the man of God may be thoroughly equipped…. There is a completeness to the equipping God has provided for us in His word.
6) for every good work – Good works do flow out of proper instruction. The ultimate goal of all biblical teaching is transformation. The tasks God has for us to complete while here on earth must be completed in His way with His resources if they are to produce lasting impact.
Though penned by the apostle Paul (a senior leader) to Timothy (a next generation leader) these words remind us today of the solid foundation we have in God’s word. Well did the hymnwriter pen the words –
“How firm a foundation ye saints of the Lord is laid for your faith in His excellent word. What more can He say than to you He hath said, to you who for refuge to Jesus have fled?”
God has spoken…let’s listen to Him!